February Franciscan Vocation Discernment Retreat Notes: How Do I Know God's Will

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity hosted a February Franciscan Vocation Discernment Retreat. Retreatants were invited to feel at home among us and received some resources for reflection. One topic was: How Do I Know God's Will

One of the sources provided was comments from Ten Evenings With God by author Ilia Delio, OSF:


"We can only know it through experience, just as we know our friends through the experience of love. We know the will of God by doing the will of God, and we do the will of God by living in the love of God. 

If the will of God is God’s love for us, then we would have to admit that the will of God is not outside us but first and foremost within us.  

If I find myself in God and if I find God then I will find myself.  

When we make life choices for reasons that are not oriented toward fullness of life, the hole of unhappiness in life deepens because the will of God is exchanged for a false self in love with itself and passing things: wealth, fame, recognition, fortune, or pleasure, none of which can bring happiness if they are not first born of the love of God.  

The single source of our happiness is the love of God that lies within us.

How attentive am I to the voice of God in my life and through others whom I encounter?" 

Comments